OKAY. This recipe is delicious! And was kind of an accident. But somehow those usually turn out the best.
Start out by chopping the tops off your peppers and cleaning out the insides.
Unfortunately, two of these beauts ended up not being good, so we ended up with four instead of six. Which resulted in me having a bucket load of the stuffing left. Buuuut thats okay in this house. Mama loves leftovers. You can stuff this stuff in tacos, make burrito bowls, eat as it is….the options are endless.
The peps who made the cut.
Place these in a baking dish and throw in the oven for 5-15 minutes, depending how soft you like them. My husband likes them more firm, so I bake them for about 5-6 minutes. I usually prefer them on the softer side, so I’d do 15 minutes for that.
While you’re cutting and cleaning your peppers, cook your burger (if you’re using it) as well as your quinoa. Cook your quinoa per instructions on the bag and brown the burger.
In a large bowl, add beans, corn and tomatoes
Throw in your spices. Does anyone actually measure when cooking?
When burgers browned, toss it on in the bowl with its friends
CHEEEEEEESE. It takes some serious self control to not dump the whole bag in, but you’re gonna want to save some for topping.
Add in quinoa. Which I made waaaaaaay too much of. But like I said, we love leftovers.
Mix it up. Stuff your pre-baked peppers. Put them in the oven for 25 minutes.
After that first bake, throw more cheese on there (which is where you’ll be glad you didn’t use the whole bag) and then pop them back in the oven for 5 minutes.
Finished product and BOYYYYYYY are they as delicious as they are beautiful.
Safe to say dinner was a hit.
- 6 bell peppers
- 1lb ground beef (cooked)
- 2 cups quinoa (cooked)
- 1 cup corn, drained (unless you freeze your own corn, then leave the juices)
- 1 can chili ready tomatoes
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- 1 can kidney beans (drained)
- 2 cups Colby jack cheese
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package
- Brown beef
- Wash and cut the tops off peppers and clean out the insides
- Place peppers in baking dish and bake for 5-15 minutes, depending on desired softness
- Mix black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, cheese and spices in a large bowl (save some cheese for topping)
- When quinoa and beef is cooked, add to bowl with other ingredients. Mix together.
- Stuff peppers and place back in oven for 25 minutes
- Remove from oven, top with cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes
ENJOY!!!! If you make this recipe, post it on Instagram and tag me in your photos! I’d love to see your peppers! Because who doesn’t love looking at food pics?! …….hopefully not just me…..
Find me on Instagram! shorthairsandlongnaps